Friday 13 March 2009

Weird Al, Greg Brady, Me and my stuff.

With the impending move I look at all our stuff differently. Mostly my thought process is, “how much will it cost to store this (fill in the blank with various household items) for a year?”

Do we really need “it”?

Can we eBay “it”?

When did eBaying turn into a verb?

If we sell “it” for 5 quid now on eBay, will we need to re buy some similar “it” when we eventually end up someplace?

And then there is Weird Al Yankovic's Ebay Song. My “it’s” will go along side Smurf Alarm Clocks and William Shatner’s toupee. I love Weird Al. I bet he doesn’t love me. But that is ok.

I keep hearing about Craig’s List and how you can buy some one else’s used “it” real cheap. Wouldn’t it be cool at the end of every block people could just put their things they want to get rid of in a box and other people could come and take it? I guess Craig thought the same thing.

Who Is Craig?

And then I start thinking about the Brady Bunch and then I remember his name was Greg not Craig.

Which then makes me think back to 1972 and Friday nights with Room 222, The Brady Bunch and Love American Style which was quite risque for it’s time. And then I think about London and Page 3 in the daily papers and all the exposed breasts and the British love of Fancy Dress and men in drag yet folks on the whole are quite buttoned up in terms of daily interactions.

And then I think about my wonderful friends and how it really takes a long time to have local British friends because they wonder if you are just passing through and is it really worth the investment when you will just be moving away.

And I put on a brave face and said, “But I am not moving away. I am stable. See, I plant perennials.” Oops.

Someone else will be enjoying my perennials. But that is ok. Because it still is adding enjoyment to someone. Maybe not me, not Greg Brady, nor Weird Al – but my neighbours.

And I wonder how another day has slipped by and I have still have yet to get anything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment