Thursday 25 February 2010

Small Pleasures

When you don’t have much space, everything is small. Even your pleasures.

This adventure has taught me to notice things again. When you live your life fast and have too much, you forget to see. Or maybe you don’t have the time to see.

I still remember the very first pedicure I got when I was 34 years old and very pregnant and couldn’t see my feet, let alone touch them. That pedicure was heaven. Every pedicure since has been a let down because it wasn’t as needed.

Some of the small pleasures I have let myself indulge in on the trip are:

Enjoying the lavender shampoo I bought in Hawaii. I bought the conditioner too. It felt decadent. It reminds me of Corringham Road in London and teaching Simon how to pull off the flowers, rub then between your hands and smell. Heaven. Finding the lavender farm where I bought the shampoo was unexpected and beautiful on the hills of Haleakula on the island of Maui.

Taking an extra couple of minutes in the shower at the Elvis Presley Boulevard RV Park shower room to sit in the plastic green chair and use a pumice stone.

Not waking the kids for 5 minutes so I can sit at the table and write a little bit with a cup of coffee. Coffee – it is all about the ritual. Even on the road. We have a fancy espresso maker. It feels decadent to live in an RV with a $300 coffee maker.

Closing the door to the bathroom.

Walking slowly.

Looking at myself in the bathroom mirror – really looking.

Tucking in my 8 year old baby even though he doesn’t need it. Singing him songs even though he doesn’t ask for them anymore.

Sorting through my small jewelry zipper bag of earrings and necklaces I brought with us and remembering the stories of where they all came from.

Making phone calls to friends.

Lying in the back of the RV and being joined by Josh and having him comment on my aging face, Evan, the world, what he wants to be and how exciting it is to be 12 years old and to have the whole world in front of you.

Sorting emails by name and thinking about my friends and how lucky I am.

Re-reading emails I wrote ten years ago. Laughing at my problems that today are barely memories.

Perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd be pretty embarrassed to reread my older emails. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have some time on my hand (rare occasion) and I read through all your posts. It seems you had such a fun and unforgettable experience, I hope to do something similar with my own kids one day:)

    Love the way you write, it is honest and engaging,the Small pleasures one is my favurite!

    Kisses and hugs,

    Zsuzsa

    ReplyDelete