Saturday 12 September 2009

Birthday Projection

It is my Birthday. Very early on my birthday. The hall clock just struck 4 AM.

I am 47. All that really means is that I am 3 years from turning 50.

Josh has been fretting all week trying to figure out what to get me with no money. I keep telling him to write me a poem or a story. He could sing me a song. How about a day of Excrutiatingly Fabulous Behavior? All those ideas went over like dead balloons.

The past 6 years in London we would go to my favorite place for my birthday – Kew Gardens. And last year we took an overnight adventure and went to Dover after a wonderful birthday lunch with my girlfriends at a beautiful pub in Maida Vale.

This year we will get up early and sneek off to the Lincoln Memorial Gardens where my Grandmother’s ashes were scattered and my aunt has spent thousands of hours as a volunteer. It will be lovely.

My 20th birthday I was in Japan just starting my junior year of college and on my way to Chieng Mai University.

My 30th birthday I was on the equator in Kenya in the midst of a 6 month adventure around the world.

My 40th birthday I had little babies and was living in Georgia.

Projection:

My 50th birthday I will have been living in an RV for the previous 3 years. My uncut hair will be to my waist; Evan’s beard will be to his. Our 10 and 15 year old boys will be wearing clothes we fashioned from an assortment of indigenous materials we found here in Peru where the RV broke down and we have put it up on blocks. I will have changed my name to Meriwether and the whiskey will be long gone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy and Happy Birthday! Dan and I have finally landed in New York after leaving London and traveling around for a month, and so now I can settle down and start reading your blog more regularly. Your post here made me think of the movie Surfwise, a documentary about the Paskowitz surfing family (they were a family of 11 or so in a tiny RV, all home-schooled, or unschooled, or whatever). If you haven't seen it, it's a riveting documentary and perhaps all the more meaningful to someone actually living in an RV!

    ReplyDelete