Monday 17 August 2009

36 hours until departure

Simon is so sad. He misses London so much. "Mommy, London is the only home I know. I miss our house. I am excited about the big adventure, but right now I am so sad."

Me too. I know this is the right thing to do and all the other intellectual self growth, chance of a life time blah blah blah along with it, but mostly I am tired of moving and we haven't even begun.

Simon took an empty cardboard box and excitedly suggested we could make a replica of our old house in the box. "That way we can take it with us all the time." Josh suggested we have a special Anniversary Day for the house so we can all tell each other things we remember.

We will do both suggestions. And look at pictures. And write letters to our friends on the street. But it still makes us sad.

I have always maintained that the kids would take their cues from Evan and me and that if we put on a brave face and make whatever trouble or trying time we are going through in to an adventure - they would rise us and all would be well.

But that leaves little room for lying in your seven year olds bed crying together.

Oops. I think I dropped my brave face.

But he is asleep now and tomorrow is another day.

My suggestion was that we need to make the RV more of a home...starting tomorrow. I can't call it the Big Pig anymore and expect that will make my kids feel like it is a nice place to call home. While it isn't really a "home" it will be the one thing that will remain constant in our lives over the upcoming 10 months.

Time to paint the walls, put up the art work, organize our blankets and stuffed animals and start thinking of the RV as our respite rather than a joke.

I guess this really is our life...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment