Thursday 27 August 2009

We Interrupt This RV Trip


…to bring you a slice of reality. Mom is moving from San Diego to Phoenix, so I am flying away and leaving Evan in charge of the RV and the boys in St. Louis so I can help my mom pack ‘em up and move ‘em out.

Now that I have these incredible skills on packing boxes I really want to use them as much as possible so I don’t forget.

Tips on moving:

  • Sharpie pens. Love them. Use them on each box you are packing to write the contents.
  • Details. Write down the details. Not just “Books” but “Wendy’s books from graduate school that are completely obsolete since the advent of the internet and she should have given them to Goodwill years ago but now that she has carted them around for the last 7 moves, why bother.”
  • Use clear tape. That way you can read the notes you just wrote on the box
  • Pack in small boxes. Easier to move and store. Especially if they are books.
  • Moving takes as much time as you give it. If you have to move in a week – you will. If you have 6 months to move you will use all 6 months.
  • It all comes down to the last 4 days. And those days suck.
  • Sleep somewhere else. Your house will be anything but a haven for relaxation – it will be messy, dirty, chaotic and distressing. Find a friends house – or a hotel – near by so you can be at the house quickly.
  • Have a pack last/open first few boxes. Linens for the beds. Coffee maker. Bath towels. Things you need up until the time you leave and will need quickly upon arrival.

I have to say it is weird leaving the RV trip for 5 nights. Does this mean I am abandoning ship? I am quite conflicted. It is a great feeling to finally be close enough to be helpful to my mom. And Evan is there so I don’t need to arrange babysitters and the like. But still…5 nights away…do I get a per diem so I can eat? Do I have to submit my receipt for the cup of coffee I will pick up at the airport to Josh? Do I get reimbursed? By my son? With my own money?

Which reminds me a an esoteric conversation Josh and I got into regarding Simon and his wiggly tooth and the inevitable Tooth Fairy. How do we budget for the Tooth Fairy? A seperate line item called "Magic"? or is it under "Dental"?

Mom and I fly back to St. Louis on Wednesday to be met by Ev and the boys in the RV. Mom is coming in the RV! At least for the 1.5 hour drive to but yet another Springfield...Illinois!

No comments:

Post a Comment